Facilities: Our Green Philososphy
We are committed to reducing our impact on the environment and to assist our guests in doing the same.
The UK's carbon footprint is over 500 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Individuals account for 45% of this. The UK produces around 330 million tonnes of waste annually - a quarter of which is from households and businesses. The rest comes from construction and demolition, sewage sludge, farm waste and spoils from mines and dredging of rivers. You can help us during your stay at the Barns
Little if any of Hartland Peninsula has mains water and Southole Barns is no exception. Our water runs off our own private supply from a borehole. It is tested regularly and it is filtered. If you are used to mains water you may find the water pressure is different from that at home.
Water is a very precious commodity. You can help us by simply being aware of your water consumption during your stay.
- Turn off the lights when you aren't in a room.
- Turn your thermostat down in the winter and off in the summer. Heating and cooling often requires fossil fuels which contribute to air pollution and global warming.
- Recycle as much as possible.
- Besides helping us reduce the waste we send to landfill, recycling helps cut our carbon footprint. That's because it almost always takes more fossil fuel to extract and process virgin materials than it does to reuse existing materials.
- For example, it takes around 20 times more energy to make an aluminium drinks can from scratch than to make one from existing cans. So almost every time you recycle a product, you're helping to reduce emissions.
- Only use the washing machine if absolutely necessary and on a full load.
- Don't tumble dry.
- Few appliances are as eco-unfriendly as tumble dryers, which use electricity to dry clothes that could easily be hung on a line or rack. If we all stopped using and buying tumble dryers, we'd each reduce emissions by the equivalent of driving more than 500 miles per year.
Every time you see the green recycle logo in any of our literature you will be able to take a small action and help a great deal. We hope this will inspire you to take action and help all of us and our beautiful planet towards a better future. Thank you.